For those who don't know these are all the rage amongst Paleo People - those who follow the Paleo principle of eating, based on the premise we should eat as our ancestors did 10,000 years ago pre- the Agricultural Revolution. There are plenty of health benefits to following this Paleo Diet, amongst the many being an improvement in chronic digestive disorders & autoimmune diseases.
For those who aren't Paleo, the principle of not eating grains with every meal is a valid & healthy one. As a nutritional therapist I like to take the best bits of lots of different ways of eating & use them to establish good healthy principles of nourishment in my own life, which I share with my clients.
A no-grains diet means that sometimes people who chose to eat this way crave things like pizza & this is the ingenious method to create one with no flour. So I felt the time had come to try this having heard & read so much about it, & the results were great. It isn't pizza quite as you know it, but it is a really great option & was definitely surprisingly good.
1 small cauliflower
2 tbsps grated parmesan
1 tbsp cream cheese or soft goat’s cheese
1tsp dried oregano
Pinch of salt & pepper
Tomato pizza sauce , homemade ideally
A cup of grated mozzarella
1 big pinch dried oregano or fresh chopped basil
Any other thing that you love on a pizza
1) Pre-heat your oven to 220C/430F and pop a large, flat baking tray in there to get hot too.
2) Grate cauliflower or place in a blender until it becomes rice.
3) Cover with a plate & microwave for 4-6 mins until soft, or steam.
4) Tip onto a clean dry tea towel to cool.
5) Once cooled pull up edges of tea towel & wring out all the moisture - squeeze really well.
6) Put cauliflower rice into a bowl with the cheese, oregano & beaten egg. Stir together.
7) Line baking tray with grease proof paper. Rub with a little olive oil.
8) Squidge the dough into a pizza shape on the paper, with nice round pizza type edges. Should be about 0.5 cm thick
9) Place in a hot oven for 15 mins until it looks slightly brown. May need another 5 mins.
10) Cover with pizza sauce, then shredded mozzarella & other toppings you like.
11) Put back in oven for another 5 mins or so until cheese melts. Eat & enjoy!